Monday, February 29, 2016

New Bulletin Board

I did not plan any of these events so I don't have a break down of how-tos but I did design the bulletin board this month (our PTA bulletin board coordinator has left the school).


So March is a busy month - sort of... there's basically 10 days of being busy in the middle of the month! I'm already planning next month's to go up before Spring Break. I think I'm going to do like one of those fabric covered cork boards with the ribbons...

So, here are the events represented:

March Madness Boys Night Out at SkyZone (Mar 10)
Lucky Clover 5K and Fun Run (Mar 12)
Scholastic Book Fair (kicking off at the 5K - Mar 12 to Mar 18)
Yard & Bake Sale benefiting our SPED team (Mar 19)

The bulletin board that the PTA decorates is 8'x8' - that's a lot of space to cover and it needs to be eye catching and informative.

Out of all of this board, the one piece that has the best story (and has already gotten the more compliments) is the RAINBOW! When I was in the beginning planning stages of the board, I woke up in the middle of the night with a great idea - and woke my husband up to tell him about it talking a mile a minute! Here's my directions:

1. Cut 3 inch strips of bulletin board paper.
2. Fold just the short edge into 3rds and glue to a strip of cardstock or poster board. I put a weight over the edges (ok, a rectangular trivet upside down) to hold into place while it dries.*
3. When the glue is set, twist the paper into a tube, fold the edge into 3rds and glue onto another strip of cardstock or poster board remembering to make an arc (the bottom color - blue/purple - will be shorter than the top color - red). Place a weight on that side until the glue is set.
4. Cut 2 clouds to hide the glued edges.
5. To hang it up, staple the cardstock down and then adjust the twists in the tubes so they are even. Open up one of the twists in the center of the rainbow and staple the back side, readjusting the twists to hide the staple. Repeat for each color. Depending on how big the rainbow is, you may need to staple in several places to make it secure.

*You can always substitute staples for glue

The shoes are kind of a hit as well! I knew I wanted shoes on the 5K part so I searched for a "sneaker template". I found this template on an LDS crafting blog but it was highly applicable once I got rid of the religious part. Actually, the whole blog has fantastic simple crafting ideas that can be applied to a variety of events!

I'm looking at this board and realizing how I could have done it better - isn't that always the way? Anyway, doing it again, I'd put "March Madness" across the top on one line and bring the SZ logo behind the brackets. I would have then had room to move the yard sale sign up a bit and for it to be more of a square (we decided book fair needed a bit more room than originally planned so squashed the yard sale square a bit intentionally). This would give me a little bit more room to have the yard sale sign. I had originally planned to have the other side of the brackets be the teachers names (they're written on smaller cardstock) but it didn't look right when I got there - better to over plan than under plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment