Thursday, June 13, 2013

I heart Fabric

There are a lot of people that can say this - I know I'm not alone - but I absolutely love fabric! The texture, the feel, the mood it brings to a room.

About  8 months ago, we got a new-to-us couch - bought it from some friends who were moving - and it came with 2 throw pillows. I love the couch! It's green and kind of a mid-century modern couch - boxy and off the floor (oh how I love that feature! no more losing thing under the couch). The pillows, well, my friend even described them as "beaten up"... The corners are fraying and there are pulls all over the fabric. I needed to re-cover them.


For me, that seemed like an overwhelming task! I have all this access to such beautiful, high-quality fabrics (although I usually keep my eye on the fun kid-themed one) and I have to pick one that I'll look at ALL.THE.TIME!  I wanted something that has energy but isn't too loud for this '80s deco den (wood slats to the chair rail and then this hideous marble-look rose-navy-forest green wallpaper). I didn't want a panel or to quilt it and it must be washable. Oh yeah, and it must feel good if someone wants to take a nap on it! I finally decided on a quilting cotton and purchased this lovely Michael Miller fabric - Hoopla Dot in lagoon - when my favorite fabric seller was having a sale! Today, while the power was flickering, I cut out the pieces for 2 envelope style pillow covers and sewed them up after the kids went to bed. I hope I still like them in 2 weeks!


Next up, making sandwich bags with the remnant like I did for this fabric!


No comments:

Post a Comment